Mysteria Misc. Maxima is a weekly feature which brings together links on religion and esotericism from around the internet.
- Pope Francis says that Catholics need to be less focused on miraculous holy sites. (Reuters)
- The Vatican’s latest guidebook is in Arabic. The guidebook contains info on numerous miraculous holy sites that Pope Francis thinks you should visit. (RNS)
- Just in time for Ramadan, a waterproof hijab that adjusts to the weather. (R29)
- “Some quotes attributed to the Buddha on the internet are fake,” says the Dalai Lama. (FBQ via @webbj74)
- The downside of meditation may be psychosis. (CBC)
- Are rich people responsible for religion? (Salon)
- Is religion responsible for environmentalism? (Religion Dispatches)
- One scholar says Americans are fighting a spiritual war against demons. (Religion in American History)
- Move over ice cream, acupuncture is here to mend your broken heart. (Isaac Likes via Gala Darling)
- Blind people see ghosts, dead people, and know what you did last summer. (Mental Floss)
- Oklahoma may be the next state to have Satanic religious literature distributed in schools. (Augoeides)
- Finally, the Roman fertility god Priapus, who was often depicted with an erection, may have suffered from a penis-related medical condition. Critics say it’s hard to believe, but the scholar advancing this theory says his case is firm and he isn’t jerking anyone around. (Pictorial)
Photo by Paula Soler-Moya.