Mysteria Misc. Maxima is a weekly feature which brings together links on religion and esotericism from around the internet.
- America elected its first Buddhist Senator. (Shambhala Sun Space)
- And it’s first Hindu Representative, who will be sworn into office on a copy of the Bhagavad Gita. (Jezebel)
- Researchers have translated a bunch of texts written in cuneiform, formerly the world’s most mysterious language. (History of the Ancient World)
- The Vatican considers limiting tourist access to the Sistine Chapel. (Reuters)
- But the Roman Catholic Church has a bigger threat looming as Protestants plan to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. Really? We’re still upset about this? (Reuters)
- Awwww yeaaah…there’s an iPad app for this year’s AAR/SBL conference, or as I like to call it, “Windy City Super Jam 2012.” (Exploring Our Matrix)
- They see me rollin’, they hatin’? A statue of Isis fetches the world’s record for most expensive Egyptian statue. (The Egyptiana Emporium)
- Societas Magica has a nice list of university courses on magic. (Societas Magica via @T3dy)
- Some papers are up from the Contemporary Esotericism Conference. And you can read them. Online even. Internet, you are awesome. (Heterodoxology)
- An artist collective has taken over the Abbey of Thelema on Cefalù. This is not a repeat from 1920. (NewNotizie)
- Poland’s highest court will try a heavy metal singer for blasphemy after he ripped up a Bible onstage. (Reuters)
- But really, heavy metal and Satan go together like—I don’t know—heavy metal and Satan. So, here are the dastardly figures behind some demonic band names. (Houston Press)
- Those looking to get their drink on in accordance with the celestial movements, will want to check out this list of planetary-appropriate boozy drinks. (Strategic Sorcery)
- Finally, Christians and Jews top the list of those most likely to have pre-marital sex. However, researchers found differences leveled-off post-marriage, when no one, regardless of their religion, is getting any at all. (HuffPo)
Photo by Astaroth 667.